The house was built in 1890 in Western Cove, Haystack, Placentia Bay by George Drake and his brother John. When George was 39 he married a girl named Lillias Gilbert who was 18 years old at the time. They had 3 children, Thomas (died in Infancy), Pearl, and Frank.
The house is made of spruce wood, with tarp paper roof, and follows a standard Georgian central hall plan. It features decorative woodwork on the corner boards and above the windows and central doorway. It is symbolic of that time period in Newfoundland's history.
The house was occupied by the Drake family until 2002. There has been little changes made to the home since it had been built. Most of the items in the home are original while others have been donated or on loan to the Heritage Foundation.
In 2002, the Drake family donated the house to the Town of Arnold's Cove as a Heritage House to preserve the history of Haystack and the many communities on the Islands of Placentia Bay.
On April 1, 2003, Frank Drake's house was awarded Heritage Designation by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador.
The house is a virtual museum looking much the same as it did 130 years ago.
Find out more about the peole and places of Placentia Bay by visiting us at the Drake Heritage House
Drop back often to check out new content and upcoming events